This article may contain affiliate links. We get paid a small commission from your purchases. More Affiliate Policy
You will agree that mother nature is the greatest gift to humanity from the Almighty. It continuously endows us with the needed resources and doesn’t require much in return. Benefits such as purifying the air we breathe, adding oxygen to it, beautifying spaces, and contributing to our overall wellness are some of the benefits of plants.
Humans have adapted the culture of bringing greenery into their living spaces to reap these benefits for ages.
You can plant Snake Plants at different locations in your home as they are not picky and can stand in different light conditions. You can have them in your entryways, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and office, provided you give them the necessary care.
Table of Contents
Do you own a snake plant currently, or are you planning to get one? Regardless of the reasons that inspire you to get a snake plant, they are great for any serious gardener or plant collector.
Now that we all presumably have snake plants at home let’s dive into the sole purpose of this article: Which is the best location for your snake plants?
Snake plants are placed in different locations in different homes. We’ll explore snake plants’ locations in a home and refer to the factors that influence the choice of an appropriate location for snake plants. We recommend the best location for snake plants to crown it all in your home.
Read on to find out more!
A Variety of Snake Plant Locations Within a Home?
What alternatives do you have when choosing an appropriate location for your snake plant? Deciding on where to put a brand-new snake plant can be challenging.
Sometimes you want to change the location of your existing snake plant and are therefore curious about the options available.
One good thing about snake plants is that they can thrive in virtually any space within your lovely home.
Here are some of the popular locations for snake plants in most homes:
- The entryway: Because of their beautiful and artistic appearance, snake plants can give life to an entryway that would have otherwise had a boring look. Many people love to put snake plants at the entrance of their homes to make this space inviting for those coming in. The entryway is agreeably an ideal location for snake plants. You can even have a large snake plant right at the front door.
- In the bedroom: Snake plants have some outstanding health benefits that makes most people prefer to keep them in their bedrooms. For instance, they have this unique ability to produce oxygen even at night. Research shows that high levels of oxygen result in sleeping soundly. Who doesn’t want that?
- The bathroom: Bathrooms are known for having good humidity levels that can act as a natural way of watering your snake plants. This is probably one of the reasons why people choose to place them in this location. Also, for aesthetic reasons, snake plants look great in a bathroom.
- The kitchen: Some beautiful greenery from snake plants pops nicely in any kitchen space. They are indeed a classic decorative plant for this space. The lively energy they bring into this space is believed to make preparing meals less of a chore and more of a fun experience that you look forward to. Have you had such a feeling with snake plants placed in the kitchen?
- In the home office: This is yet another ideal location many people choose for their snake plants. It adds an intriguing fresh vibe to the office space and makes it beautiful in an appealing way. With it greenish-white leaves, snake plants give any office space that modern and classy look. The fact that they filter toxins from the air is another good reason you need to keep them in your office.
This way, you can breathe in some clean air to stay healthy and productive. They also serve some feng shui purposes in an office space. They bring in good energy, good luck, and more money; this is an excellent reason for you to keep them here! Do you think your home office is probably the best location for your snake plants?
- The dining room is another good location for snake plants of all sizes. Experts suggest that snake plants bring richness and beauty to the whole household when placed in the dining area. You will enjoy more benefits when you add in some other fruit-bearing plants. Snake plants are often placed on the dining room table, mantle, countertop, or windowsill.
- Outdoors: Snake plants are still a great decorative element for the outdoors. You can have them on your balcony, on your porch in the shade or somewhere near the pool. One good reason to keep them outside is when you need to protect your pets and children from ingesting the plant because it is toxic when consumed.
- Outdoors, you can grow snake plants in containers or on the ground, depending on where you live. For instance, if you live in USDA Zones 8 through 11, the plant will grow well outdoors with minimum care. However, if the region is too cold, below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, it is best to grow the plant indoors where it is a bit warm, keeping in mind that doesn’t tolerate too low temperatures and frost.
Also, read, Does aloe vera clean air in your home?
Factors That Influence the Ideal Location to Choose for your Snake Plants
Several factors are behind placing your snake in a given location instead of the next available one. These factors include:
Snake plants prefer medium light. However, they can still withstand low light levels and bright indirect light. Placing them in front of a north-facing window or bright sunny window with a curtain works just fine, and they will also do well in a dimly lit bedroom or office space.
However, you should avoid keeping snake plants out in bright direct sunlight will possibly burn the leaves or cause them to turn yellow due to intense light.
Snake plants dislike too much water. When choosing an appropriate location for them, consider an area with no risk of overwatering since this can result in root rot and eventually kill your plant. For instance, placing them outside during the rainy season is not advisable.
The ideal temperature for snake plants ranges between 21 to 32 degrees Celsius. But they survive in temperatures as cold as 7 degrees Celsius, provided the soil stays dry, which is an important survival mechanism during cold winter. Most areas in your home will have a temperature that promotes the extraordinary growth of snake plants.
Avoid placing snake plants in hot areas near a fireplace as too high temperatures might affect their growth and kill the plant.
Feng Shui Principles
While most plants are beneficial and excellent for our homes, we have particular ones that deserve special recognition in the houseplants’ spotlight.
One good example of such plants is snake plants. They are known for both their stunning beauty and fantastic health benefits. And have we mentioned the widespread belief that they have feng shui abilities? Yes, snake plants are believed to have the ability to bring both good energy and good fortune into a home.
In a nutshell, feng shui refers to principles aimed at aligning one’s living space depending on the personality and individual needs. This concept is of Chinese origin.
Concerning snake plants, the Chinese valued them as a houseplant because they believed everyone who owned one received some outstanding eight gifts: prosperity, good health, long life, strength, intelligence, art, poetry, and beauty.
The feng shui concept greatly influences the location of your snake plants. This concept requires a bit of understanding for you to familiarize yourself with it and helps you get the best from your living space by creating some form of harmony in the flow of good energy. It splits the world into five elements that include:
- Wood: This represents creativity and growth.
- Water Stands for emotions and inspiration.
- Metal: Stands for focus and order.
- Fire: Represents leadership and boldness.
- Earth: Represents strength and stability.
So, when choosing an excellent location for your snake plants, you want to be sure that you have aligned things properly so you can enjoy the great benefits it brings.
According to feng shui principles, rooms in the south area have a Fire element. Placing your snake plants in this area of your home will bring this energy into your space, and you will have more capacity to make bold decisions. However, if your plant is enormous, avoid placing it in this area since it can bring negative energy.
Rooms on the eastern and southeast sides are aligned with the Wood element. Placing your snake plants in this area is believed to make you more creative and driven, significantly impacting your personal and professional life. But plants larger than one foot long are discouraged from this area as they would bring such energy in excess.
In essence, snake plants can be used for feng shui when placed in Bagua areas within your home. These areas refer to the energy mapping of your home that determines your life’s positive and negative aspects. For instance, your office space is considered the Wen Chang area.
When placed in this location, snake plants will help you focus and be more productive, potentially resulting in growth and prosperity. You can have the plants on top of your desk, on a bookshelf, or on a window.
Feng shui also supports that entryways, bathrooms, the kitchen, dining rooms, and bedrooms are great locations for snake plants. Besides beautifying the space and the health benefits, snake plants have higher chances of bringing in sound energy when placed in these locations.
FAQ’s about Snake Plants
The best location for snake plants varies from individual to the next, and what works for one home may not work for the next because homes are different.
My best locations for snake plants are the office because of the good energy, the bedroom because of the remarkable health benefits, or the entryway because of its beauty. If you still have difficulty deciding, get enough snake plants for all these locations!
As you make this decision, I firmly believe that I consider the health of your plants. If placing them in a particular space will deprive them of what they need to thrive, like the right temperature, you are better off choosing the following available location. Also, while at it, remember to capitalize on snake plants’ benefits. You can subscribe for more informative gardening posts by completing the form below![mailerlite_form form_id=5]